Friday, June 19, 2009

Mi Morning



I thought I'd share my experience with attaining an iPhone this morning. As usual, I was entertained by the iDiocy. (get it?)

AT&T carries the iPhone, but you can also get it at the Mac Store. They will even activate it for you. As I drove to the Mac Store to pick up the iPhone I had reserved online, I wasn't sure what to expect as I remember the wacky line drama from previous releases. As I approached the Biltmore area, (closest store to my work) I noticed an AT&T store with people sleeping on the porch with sleeping bags and chairs, and a line of about 30 people eagerly awaiting the opening. Which left me wondering what was in store at the Mac Store. I wasn't interested in a mess, and I didn't want to converse with anyone that had actually slept there all night.

At about 7:00 am I arrived at the Biltmore and thought I should get a Juice and a muffin from Paradise bakery, just in case there was an hour long wait...any longer and I wouldn't have been interested in waiting.

Muffin and Juice in hand I turned the corner to see a crowd waiting. Maybe 100 people or so. Just as I started to turn around to get back in the car, one of the workers stopped me and said "Are you here for the iPhone?"
"Yes"
"She said the line starts way back there... Unless you pre-ordered."
"I did pre-order" I said.

She said "Oh, lets find you name on the list then and send you right in..."
So in 2 minutes I was in the store, with a warm muffin in my hand and a juice I hadn't even touched yet.

They brought me my phone and I completed the purchase, then they offered to have another worker activate it for me and move my phone number over. They said it would only take a few minutes. So I aggreed.

Mind you...everyone so far, has been the squeeky clean folks I mentioned in my previous post. The activator guy on the other hand...fit the homless category. He had dreadlocks pulled back into a pony tail and a scruffy beard. Very nice guy though.

I set my purchased iPhone, still in the box, on the counter. The iWorker guy...clasped both hands together and just stared at the box. ...after a moment or so I looked at him. He had glossy eyes and a cheesy grin on his face, as though I had just pulled a puppy out of my pocket or something. He said "Do you...want to do the honors?" ...I said "What?" "Would you like to open the box for the first time? Some people consider this a special event." he replied.

I didn't know exactly how to respond to that...I just looked around to see if anyone heard him say such a fruity thing. After a moment, I said "No, you go ahead, I think you'll enjoy it more than me."

By 7:20 am I was on my way. Pretty harmless, I've waited in line longer at Mc Donalds. My only regret is that I didn't stop by AT&T on my way back to work, and take a picture of the dorks on the porch with my new iPhone 3Gs. It must have been a rough night for those morons.

7 comments:

  1. Hysterical! Good post Jade! I would not be lying if I told you that literally LOL'd throughout your post.

    Congratulations on your new baby. I'm sure you will be up all night with it. Nursing it to good working order. I'll be there for back up incase something goes wrong. If you just use iphone instincts you'll do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, success! Is it everything you hoped?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I havn't had much time to mess with it. Been at work all day.

    I am sure it's pretty cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought of a cooler subject title....
    drum roll....

    imorning

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yea we'll my phone was 29.00 buy one get one free it takes pictures, has a video camera, you can go online, it has an alarm clock, and several other features I don't know how to use. It reminds me of Brian regan talking about refridgerators... this one keeps your food cold for $600 and this one keeps your food cold for $900 and this one keeps your food cold for $1200 Sorry to be a downer on your "big day" I am deffinately not a techno nerd.... my obsession lies with more important things like Mickey Mouse now there is something worth standing in line for!!!!

    ReplyDelete