Sunday, July 18, 2010

iPhone 4 Reception Issues

You may have heard of the iPhone 4 "Reception issues". If you haven't... I might ask if you heard there was an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, or if you knew America is currently fighting in a war in Afghanistan? This issue of the long anticipated iPhone, has wildly been blown out of proportion. The phone is not perfect, sure there is room for improvement, but it's really not all that bad. I love the phone. With that being said. I couldn't help but poke fun at some of the people that expected more. If you want a cell phone that never drops calls... don't get one through AT&T. If the device works 'well enough' as a phone, but blows most point and shoot cameras out of the water, has more calculator apps than ASU's engineering school, and can play games as well as the wii...then why give it a hard time for dropping a call or two. Sure I would have liked to see an improvement from my iPhone 3GS... But everything else improved. They are just trapped on a crappy network.

However, if Apple decided to put function above form in an effort to overcome the flawed network where they reside (AT&T)...Then the new iPhone4 might have looked something like this:

I created this image from scratch. It is not real (before you ask)... it is a completely computer generated model.

3 comments:

  1. My husband worked for AT&T for years as a full time employee and now does contract work for them. He has told me that it isn't that AT&T has a crappy network, it is just that no one anticipated how much bandwidth it would take and/or how popular the usage of the IPhones (and applications)would be. My husband suspects that as the new Android phones catch on more and more with people that Verizon users will also notice a problem with calls dropping off as well. AT&T is allocating a lot of money to make sure that problem gets corrected so I phone users just need to be patient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comment Cindy. But...The iPhone has been around for a while now. Many of the networks have updated much of their hardware to handle heavy loads in the past. The iPhone data may, or may not put a strain on the network. But the calling...definitely shouldn't be a straign in my opinion. AT&T just notified me of a change in their data plan. It's no longer unlimited, but offers only 2GB per month. Its cheaper now ($5 or so) but they said most people will be unaffected because something like 98% of their customers don't use anything near 2GB per month.

    2 questions:
    a.) Then why change it from unlimited.
    b.) MOST don't use 2gb, and it's a strain on the network?

    I don't mind a few dropped calls. Never had them with Verizon. But I did, 11 years ago with VoiceStream (no longer around). ...I compare the frequency of purposely ended calls to the network technology of 11 years ago... That's kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete